If you are among the health conscious group of individuals, perhaps, then you spend a lot of time on Google searching for health-related information. With tidal waves of information flowing past you constantly, suggesting you ways of keeping yourself healthy, it’s apparent to find the self in a bewildered state.
The best of the best information existing in the cyberspace encourages you to commit your body, mind and soul to the practice of yoga. Yoga is an ancient discipline encompassing the techniques of asanas, yogic breathing, meditation, cleaning procedures and more, which help keeps sickness at bay and also nurtures your mind in a positive way.
These are some yoga styles that you can practice for reaping the benefits of yoga:
- Hatha Yoga: It is a classical yoga style containing the wisdom of yoga postures, pranayama, meditation, diet and lifestyle. Hatha is a Sanskrit word, where ‘Ha,’ means sun, and ‘Tha,’ means moon. Therefore, it is the practice of balancing the opposites within us so as to create a body of higher possibilities and spiritual growth.
- Ashtanga Yoga: Ashtanga yoga is a fast-paced yoga practice. It consists of six series, Primary series, Intermediate series and four Secondary series having a sequence of yoga poses done in coordination with the breath. The incorporation of Vinyasa, Drishti, Bandhas and Mudras in Ashtanga yoga poses, make this practice challenging and a form of moving meditation.
- Vinyasa Yoga: It is a dynamic style of yoga, in which the practitioner moves from one pose to another with the help of the breath. In Vinyasa yoga style, the teachers and practitioners have the freedom to craft their own flow.
- Bikram Yoga: It is popularly known as Hot Yoga. Living up to its name, Bikram yoga is practiced in a heated room, where a specific series of 26 yoga postures and two breathing techniques are practiced for 90-minutes. The humidity of the room warms up the body for yoga practice.
- Restorative Yoga: It is a slow-paced and relaxing yoga style aimed at increasing body-mind calmness. When you practice restorative yoga form, you hold the poses for a longer duration and also they are practiced with the help of yoga props.
Top 7 Health Benefits of Yoga:
- Strength and Flexibility: The strength and flexibility benefits of yoga are incredible. Slowly, as you move your body in diverse yoga postures, you release stiffness, tensions, you open up the tight body areas and more. Eventually, you become more flexible. In yoga poses, you use your own body weight to hold the postures that result in strength. Yoga poses strengthen your body from inside-out.
- Physical and Mental Purification: The yoga practices aid in detoxification. Not only purifying the body from toxic matter but also from the negative thoughts. The performance of Ashtanga yoga and Bikram yoga poses help in cleaning the body from inside. Both these yoga styles make the practitioner sweat profusely resulting in purification. The shat-kriyas are yogic cleansing techniques of detoxifying the body-mind from ama.
- Perfect Posture: Poor posture is a begetting of a backache, compromised joints and other health problems. During the practice of yoga, you balance your head directly above the erect spine, this puts less strain on back and neck muscles. The steady effort to keep the spine long helps in proper posture maintenance while sitting and standing.
- Fosters Happiness: Feeling sad? Strike a yoga asana or sit for meditation. The yoga practices improve serotonin levels and decrease the production of cortisol and monoamine oxidase. By increasing the level of good hormones in the brain, yoga reduces the symptoms of mental health problems and fosters happiness.
- Enhances Concentration: An important health benefit of yoga is that it helps you to focus on the present. The meditative component of yoga encourages you to be in the present moment by teaching you the art of letting go. Also, yoga practices involve the element of Drishti that enhances concentration power, coordination, memory and IQ scores.
Relaxes Body-Mind: The yoga techniques focus on deep breathing. This helps your system shift its balance from the sympathetic nervous system to parasympathetic nervous system. The latter is calming and restorative in nature; it regulates blood pressure, increases blood circulation, lowers heart rate and does everything that relaxes the body-mind.
Increases Self-Esteem: Many of us suffer from low-self esteem. Practicing yoga and reading Yoga Sutras give you a different perspective, improves your awareness and makes you realize that you are a manifestation of the divine. With these teachings, you start to embrace yourself and develop high self-esteem which is one of the spiritual benefits of yoga.
It’s nearly impossible to state out the health benefits of yoga in one piece of writing. There are miraculous and numerous rewards of yoga. Practice to experience.